PREP TIME 15 minutes
COOK TIME 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME 45 minutes
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup corn polenta
- 2-3 Tbsp butter and vegan butter
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Once boiling, add in salt and stir to dissolve, then turn heat to medium.
- While whisking, slowly and continuously pour polenta into your water over the course of about 1 minute. Take it slow! This ensures that there will be no lumps in your cooked polenta.
- Once all of your polenta is in the water, continue whisking until it starts to thicken, about 2 minutes. Then turn heat down to low and cover. The polenta should be gently bubbling but not fully simmering. Set a timer for 30 minutes and be sure to whisk the polenta every 5 minutes or so to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- After 30 minutes, test your polenta. It should be soft and porridgy, with no lumps or graininess. If you want your polenta slightly thicker, let it cook for another 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in vegan butter. Taste again and add more salt or butter if you want more savoury or salty flavour. Enjoy!
- Polenta is a great base for sautéed veggies like asparagus or wilted greens, or with roasted garlic and baby tomatoes. Optionally, garnish with fresh basil or parsley, vegan parmesan, and/or more vegan butter.
- Leftovers keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave, adding more water and/or vegan butter as needed to rehydrate.
- Or, use cooked polenta for making polenta fries!
Photo and Recipe by Minimalist Baker